Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pedal Day 50 - NEW HAMPSHIRE!










"Failure to plan is planning to fail."
-Anonymous, texted to me by Christy "Purple" Price

"An infinite God can give all of Himself to each of His children."
-A. W. Tozer, texted to me by Ericka Warren

We pedaled 67.6 miles today and are now in Ashland, New Hampshire. New Hampshire may be tied with Illinois for the Worst Roads of the Ride Award. Route 4, especially in towns was awful. New Hampshire did redeem itself when we got on Route 104. Tomorrow we will decide whether or not Illinois or New Hampshire will take home that coveted Worst Roads award. New Hampshire did not have a "Welcome to New Hampshire" sign so you'll just have to take my word for it.
Last night at Doug and Cindy's home we ate lasagna and a super, super salad. We also had peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream. After pigging out at supper, Jonathan and I weighed ourselves. On the trip Jonathan has gained five pounds (muscle) and I have lost seventeen pounds (the other stuff)! Wow! That's one pound more than a regular bowling ball!
We stayed his morning Cindy was in the kitchen early preparing a breakfast that was above and beyond the call of duty. Breakfast gave us a lot of nutrition for the pedaling today. We sure did have a great time with these Veridians (Vermont and Florida residents) and are looking forward to seeing them again in Watkinsville in August. We are thankful for and to Doug, Cindy, Keith, and Matthew and their two vicious watchdogs, Chloe and Hannah.
Before leaving Bradford, Doug and I walked out to the barn and he gave me the tour. There's just something about barns. I believe I am fascinated by the timbers and connections of barn structural systems. I think I would like to remodel a barn into a residence one day. I guess I'd better get home and finish the house we live in before I start a barn.
Tomorrow we plan to ride to Sanford, Maine. The ride will be about 61 miles. We hope to start pedaling at 6 A.M. and get to our destination around noon. After we arrive in Sanford, we will drive to Portland to pick up Sarah and Barry (our daughter and son-in-law). We'll spend the night in Portland, return to Sanford on Saturday morning, and pedal to the Atlantic, 22.7 miles east. I'm excited.
I know many of you have been praying for the three of us. For that I am eternally grateful. Your love, prayers, comments, and encouragement mean more than you'll ever know. If this blog ever becomes a devotional book, your comments will surely be included.
Some of my favorite prayer promises in Scripture are:
Matthew 21:22, "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
John 15:7, "But if you stay joined to me and my words remain in you, you may ask any request you like, and it will be granted."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, "Alway be joyful. Keep on praying. No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God's will for you who belong to Jesus Christ."
Colossians 4:2, "Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart."
Ephesians 6:18, "Pray at all times and on every occasion in the power of the Holy Spirit. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all Christians everywhere."
. . . even when they are pedaling! Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. Wow - I miss one day and you've pedaled through two states. You are like Superman. Except for you have gray hair and are not 6'4" and 225 pounds. Plus you do not have heat vision, super cool breath, super hearing or x-ray vision. And you cannot fly or leap tall buildings at a single bound. And I do not think you are as powerful as a locomotive or faster than a speeding bullet. And you do not work at the Daily Planet or to my knowledge know anyone named Lois Lane or Lex Luthor or Lana Lang or any other alliterative "L" name. You are really absolutely nothing at all like Superman. For this I am sorry. The movie "Nacho Libre" is playing while I am typing this, and all I can think of is the line "I have had the diarrheas since Easters." It is probably a good idea you are wrapping this ride up this weekend, because if you don't get back to work you will probably lose your job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barry, THANK YOU for sharing your trip with us. It has been fun following you each day as you have fulfilled your lifelong dream. I have thoroughly enjoyed your daily blogs and pictures and especially the stories about the people you met. What a treasure you have-will make a great devotional book. You and Margaret are special to us and we look forward to having you back at PABC. Continuing to pray for a safe trip home. Love, Betty B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry, please don't keel over dead or have a heart attack or anything like that before you reach the Atlantic. Whenever my kids start complaining something's too hard all I have to do is remind them that you rode your bike across the ENTIRE COUNTRY without complaining. Someone once gave my kids a shirt that says "You can't make it too hard for me to complain." Thanks for being a great role model.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barry! I hope the barn you build is for rent, because I would move there and it would be the best place I will have ever lived! Get on that project soon, and I'll help you! Can't wait to be hanging out with you guys in like 3 days!!!! Pedal safe and miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barry--what a great weekend! I do hope and pray that everything goes smoothly for the remainder of the trip. I am so excited for you about this. I really wish that you would have Sarah, Barry, or Margaret Skype the ending for us. We could have a live viewing of this huge accomplishment!
    I am surprised that Todd did not say: "Geez, you're driving all the way back to Portland to get them? That's kind of far. You'd think they could fly somewhere a little closer to Maine. Maybe you really are Superman, and you're going to fly them back over to Maine from Portland."
    Love you Barry! Have a wonderful day of Celebration tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Pacific to Atlantic
    The Master led the way
    Faced mountains, valleys, wind & the rain
    But.... We're going to Maine!

    Family, friends, surprises at each stop
    Burger, fries, food galore,
    All flavors of Ice Cream who could want more?

    Pedal, Pedal, one more mile
    State by State, sure makes us smile
    Notes, texts, blogs from many
    Thanks for sharing, praying and giving

    Destination is in our site
    Counting the seconds, to dismount this bike
    Seventeen pounds lighter, walking on air
    The ocean ahead, we're almost there!

    The Queen awaits to capture it all
    She deserves another trip to the mall!
    Lobster tonite, Sleep is our game
    Praise God! We made it to Maine!
    By Dottie Edge

    Barry, Margaret, Jonathan, Kudos to you!
    We feel like we have reached this dream with you, what a testimony of God's great grace, love and mercy. You have represented Him in
    an exceptional manner, this journey has sparked a new desire to never give up, keep pedaling for our Saviour. The prize awaits us all, oh to hear Well done, thy good and faithful servant. I will face the headwinds of life with a more determined attitude, seeing the good in every aspect of the journey. You have made me laugh, cry, and remember yes, people are important and we all have something to offer, the gift He instilled in us to Never Give Up! Can't wait to see you back home and tell you in person how thankful we feel to have been a small part of your great adventure!
    Love & Shouts of Joy
    Dottie & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barry, Margaret & Jonathan:

    I am waiting anxiously to hear about the end of the trip - but will be sad that it is over. I, like many others, look forward to reading about your adventure every day! You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, so the barn remodel is a great idea. You could then open it as the Best Bed and Breakfast in America because now you know everything that it needs. With Margaret as the hostess, you'll never have a vacancy!!!

    Have an awesome day on Saturday. We are all celebrating with you!

    ReplyDelete