Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pedal Day 37 - INDIANA!














"If you can't write it down and sign it, don't say it!"
-Anonymous

"Before you say what you're thinking, ask yourself three questions: Is it kind? Is it necessary? Is it true? If you can't answer "Yes" to all three questions, don't say it!"
-Anonymous

"It's better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
-Anonymous

"Even fools are thought to be wise when they keep silent; when they keep their mouths shut, they seem intelligent."
-Proverbs 17:28

Seventy-six miles of headwind today. The wind cut our ride short. We were hoping for a little over a hundred but ran out of time and energy. Our plans are to make up the miles a few at a time over six or seven days. Our route was flat, flat, flat but the wind made it feel like it was uphill all the way.
We are in Indiana. We arrived around eight this morning. We also crossed over from the Central Time Zone to the Easter Time Zone . . . makes me feel closer to home! 
There was no "Welcome to Indiana" sign on our route since we decided to save some time and miles and go down some dirt roads instead of the paved highway. Instead of a welcome sign we got a Newton County, Indiana warning sign stating that with our bikes we could weigh no more than five tons gross! Later we found a "Road Closed" sign blocking our route so we did what we did at the last two roadblocks, went on through. I think those signs apply only to cars. This one stated, "Bridge Out." When we got to the bridge it wasn't out. In fact it was still there over the creek. The sign blocking the road, "Condemned." Well, it looked good to us. We did some math and decided the 330 pounds of bikes, Jonathan, and me wouldn't even cause the slightest crack!
Indiana is another state where dogs can drive vehicles. Some dogs, however, are required by law to have booster seats! And . . . no interstate driving.
While we're on the subject of dogs we had a slight encounter with a Rottweiler today. As we pedaled by this yellow farm house I saw this black blur locked on us like a Tomahawk missile on a slow jet. No barking, just heavy breathing: I think I felt the warmth and slobber on my leg. Luckily for us, this guy wanted to play and decided to run with us for about half a mile much to the chagrin of his owner. If we would have called him, he probably would have come home with us. I sure hope we don't run into any of those puppies that are mean and hungry! We did find out they aren't very fast for a long run.
Today we pedaled to Lucerne and now we are staying in Wabash. Lucerne has no motels. It really doesn't have many houses either. Before we arrived in Lucerne we pedaled through Royal Center (Pop. 832) where a parade was going on. The two main streets through Royal Center were closed due to the parade but an Indiana State Trooper allowed us to cut in and pedal out of town. For about two blocks Jonathan and I pedaled behind an ambulance from a neighboring community. I'm sure people thought we were just part of the parade so we waved, smiled, and pedaled. The kids kept yelling, "Where's the candy?" If I had known we'd ride in a parade today I would have bought a bag of Tootsie Rolls!
Right outside our motel there is a car show going on. Every now and then I hear some serious revving of the V-8's as the drivers start the engines to take their cars home. I walked over, took a bunch of photos, and did a little coveting! There are some very nice old vehicles out there. Does that make it okay to covet?
It's been a good day even if we did not make our miles as planned. We had a good, safe ride and are now about to get some rest.
One more thing: I thank you for your comments. They are fuel for my pedaling. Always encouraging, positive, and even humorous, your comments are just what I need as I finish each day. I wouldn't miss them for anything. I've had a number of people tell me that this blog needs to become a book. Some of you have even said it needs to continue after I finish. Well, you could write some books as well, especially books that would be found in the encouragement section in places like Barnes & Noble and Borders. Anyway . . . many thanks!
"Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up" (Proverbs 12:25).
"Everyone enjoys a fitting reply; it is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time" (Proverbs 15:23).
"I'm eager to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours. In this way, each of us will be a blessing to the other" (Romans 1:12).
I've shared with many people that my mom and dad were some of the most encouraging people on planet earth. Mom always encouraged me to draw, paint, and build. Dad always encouraged me to do what I love and love what I do. I really believe that if I had gone to my dad and said, "Dad, I want to build a bridge to the moon." he would have replied, "There's some wood at the end of the driveway, when you run out, we'll go to Shrewsbury Lumber Company and buy all you need. Oh, the toolbox is in the back of the truck." I never had a desire to build a bridge to the moon but I did build enough projects for six kids. And . . . I never ran out of supplies or tools. That's encouragement.
Thanks Mom and Dad for your encouragement.
Thanks for yours too.


5 comments:

  1. Just wondering what the weight limit is from April 2nd through January 31st? Is it more than 5 tons? Welcome to the Eastern Standard Time Zone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for tailwinds tomorrow! Still love the blogs. It make me feel like I've been with you guys. Can't wait until Barry and I come see you in a couple of weeks. Stay safe. Love you and mom very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you are now in the state that was named after our 4th child. Very few people have had states named after their children and it is indeed a very prestigious national honor. We also happen to be friends of a family who own the child that New Mexico was named after. They are very unusual. It's lucky you posted some of those pictures, because I am fairly certain that the dog driving the car in the first picture is wanted for vehicular destruction here in Lexington. I hope you got a license plate number. Maybe you were busy taking his license plate off of the car so you could have an Indiana one. We saw "Up" yesterday which had a joke told by a dog that you would really have liked. I will not tell you the joke now so it's spoiled. You will have to see it for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see that on Monday you plan on being in our great town of Bowling Green, (Ohio, not Kentucky. We raise wheat not horses). We would love to meet you, Jonathan and Margaret. If you need a good bike shop, stop by Cycle Werks at 248 1/2 S. Main Street. The Christian owner is Dave Pickering.
    from Beverly Miner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am afraid to show Daniel the pix of the hot rods and classic beauties (cars...NOT the dogs!) on this page. He might drool all over the computer...Wish we could've toured that town with you! Keep pedaling and then you can get yourself one of those roaring V8's as a reward for crossing the country. I know an AWESOME custom painter! Oh, what a hoot; I am totally imagining you and Margaret taking your next tour of the country driving a `32 duce with a custom flame job! You with a ZZ Top beard & dark sunglasses and Margaret dressed in a 50's style polka dot dress wearing bright red lipstick! Oh, what a blog that would be! lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete