Thursday, July 9, 2009

Whew!









"We wouldn't worry nearly so much what people think of us if we knew how seldom they actually do."
-Adolph Coors, from a comment by Sharon Reid

The Utah Crew met at Prince this morning and headed west at six o'clock. The first challenge was to get all of the luggage into a rental van that was smaller than expected. We did, miraculously pack the luggage and the ten people in the van and had a great day of travel with Donnie Brown at the wheel.
Right now we are at the home of Brandon, Julie, Caleb, and Charis Barnard in Little Rock, Arkansas. They are hosting us for the evening and we are extremely grateful. Even though they are leaving for vacation tomorrow morning they are still hosting us. We leave here at 7 and they head to Florida at 8:30. I'm not sure which is greater, their hospitality or their insanity.
Either way, we sure do appreciate them very much.
Our trip today took us from Georgia, through Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and into Arkansas. After arriving in Little Rock we went with the Barnard family to Cheeburger Cheeburger for a time of great food and super great fellowship. It was so good for me to catch up on what's happening in the lives of Brandon and Julie.
After supper we went for a tour of Fellowship Bible Church where Brandon is the lead youth guy and one of the three teaching pastors. While we were there, Brandon introduced us to Jungle Pong and we, of course, had to play about four games!
It is now 12:38 A.M. Am I usually up at this time of the night? No, hardly ever. And I'm not the only one up. Most of our crew is wide awake, sitting on the dining room floor at Brandon and Julie's house, making cow costumes! That's what I said, cow costumes. Why? I'm glad you asked. They, the girls and some guys, are making cow costumes because anyone going into a Chick-fil-A tomorrow (today) wearing a complete cow costume receives a meal free. Tomorrow should be a real mooooving experience as we roll down I-40 with a van loaded with cow-like students. I'm not sure if the free meal thing is worth it all because I think they've spent more at Wal*Mart buying cow stuff than the meals would have cost. But they are having fun and I should get some great photos for tomorrow's blog. I'll just have to think hard to come up with a devotional that includes cows.
So what's the lesson I've learned again today?Italic I am reminded once again of the value of friends. The Bible says, "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend" (27:17).Italic I'm not sure any of us are any sharper because of today but we are a bit closer. We've traveled together, eaten together, laughed together, prayed together, and still love one another after being packed in a van for almost 10 1/2 hours. That in itself is a study in sharpening iron. We've had a great day as friends.
It's hard to think clearly any more about this post since there are seven students beside my table, on the floor, making cow costumes, and telling cow jokes. Tomorrow's free Chick-fil-A meals are coming together but these kids are falling apart. The laughter is loud and the memories are coming together. Unfortunately, this post is coming apart. I will close with this spiritual gem: "A cheerful heart is a good medicine . . ." (Proverbs 17:22).
Perhaps you can apply it in some way to your day.

2 comments:

  1. Nice hair cut Barry! Who's your stylist? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was with you guys soooooooooo bad! Have fun and give all of the Simpsons a big hug from me!

    ReplyDelete