Wednesday, July 1, 2009

PENNSYLVANIA!






"This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it."
-Psalm 118:24

"Always eat your dessert first!"
-Anonymous, probably some mom who really knew how to raise healthy kids.

Margaret drove 399 miles today. I was lazy and navigated from shotgun. We left Boston this morning and arrived in Red Lion, Pennsylvania this evening.
When it was time for lunch we decided a quick lunch was what we needed. We mentioned an Arby's and a Burger King near the interstate but Carly said, "I was hoping we'd go to one of those hole-in-the-wall places like you guys did when you were riding your bikes." So we did. In Maybrook, New York we found Twisters. I'm sure it's not a chain or a franchise but it was very good. The cheeseburgers were so good I ate mine and half of Margaret's (with her permission). Katie had two hot dogs and she said they were wonderful.
Today I committed the unpardonable sin: I bought Citgo gasoline. I did not have a choice because we were on the big E of the fuel gage. I have often said, "If I ran out of gas at a Citgo station I would push my car up the road five miles to another gas station to fill up." Well, today I didn't do that. Ever since Hugo Chavez publicly stated that he wanted to bring down the United States, I have said I will never buy Venezuelan-owned Citgo again. Anyway, I am sorry. Please forgive me. I feel like Benedict Arnold.
We are now in Red Lion, Pennsylvania at the home of Dwaine and Sarah Flemmens. Along with Dwaine and Sarah, we met a crew of others here as well. Another high school friend, Bill Goodling and his wife Joanne arrived. Bill brought a personalized Pennsylvania license plate for me (VR-JONBL). Now I only need Idaho, Wisconsin, and Ohio plates.
Nelda Flemmens, Dwaine's mom and my other Mom for many years, came up the street. Mom Flemmens was the one who got me hooked on gingerbread waffles and Carman's Ice Cream (chocolate peanut butter) for which I'll be eternally grateful!
Donnie, my stone-age brother who does not own a computer (I hope he reads this), and his wife Linda came. Donnie is retired from the post office. He is "postal" but has been that way all his life.
Doug. Joanne, Krista, and Kayla Flemmens stopped by and brought the much sought after Carman's Ice Cream. Doug is the oldest son of Dwaine and Sarah.
Of course, the rest of the crew you know: Carly, Katie, Jonathan, Margaret, and me! Needless to say, along with the waffles and ice cream, we have laughed and laughed all evening. It was a good and healthy evening for all of us!
I'm going to make this very short tonight because I, along with the crew, ate too much, talked too much, and laughed too much. Because I was surrounded by friends and family this evening, one verse quickly comes to mind, "A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need" (Proverbs 17:17).
I am thankful for family and friends. I am blessed . . .
. . . even though I bought Citgo fuel today!
I am having two more scoops of Carman's chocolate peanut butter ice cream before bed. I'll probably have it for breakfast too.
Good night.

3 comments:

  1. Barry,
    We really enjoyed the evening gathering at Dwaine's house. God sure works in strange ways sometimes. Two old friends who had drifted apart and not seeing each other for so many years, happen to get on the modern-day communication networks and eventually gather around a plate of ice cream. Two people who are told they are too old to be on a computer. I guess we showed them that you are never too old. (except for Donnie!) Well it was graet seeing you again and I hope it is not so long the next time.
    God Bless, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you made it to Carman's. Our plans for the similar Rufus's are going well. We are adding extra flavors like Bluegrass Surprise, made with grass clippings from the lawn mower bag mixed with a dollop of vanilla. Mmmm, mmmmm. I will let you sample some when you are here. Also, I will be getting you your new Hugo Chavez fan club membership kit. It comes with a special sew-on badge, a poster, a special note from fan club president Barack Obama, and a letter from Hugo himself, suitable for framing. I am glad you have seen the light on loving and supporting dictator thugs, since we will probably have our very own first American dictator in another few years. You were always the trend setter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you start to have an unpleasant odor in the car over the next day or two you might want to check to see which visitor left their deodorant sitting on our bathroom sink. We really enjoyed your visit and welcome you all back soon. I expect that Jonathan may be a regular visitor to PA. We only need about two hours notice to replenish the chocolate peanut butter ice cream. Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete