Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day 1 - Send-off






"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride."
-John F. Kennedy

"Next to a leisurely walk I enjoy a spin on my tandem bicycle. It is splendid to feel the wind blowing in my face and the springy motion of the iron steed. The rapid rush through the air gives me a delicious sense of strength and buoyancy, and the exercise makes my pulse dance and my heart sing."
-Helen Keller, The Story of My Life

Quote of the day (sent by Ericka Warren)
"The shortest distance between two points is how far they are apart."
-NYC graffiti

Margaret and I are now at the Holiday Inn Express in Marion, Illinois. We left home at 8:30 this morning and after 492.7 miles arrived here at 6:00 this evening. We stopped to eat lunch with Justin Nations at Newks in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Except for a fuel stop we made no other stops, just enjoyed the drive.
The fun part of the day was our send-off. You know how Baptist churches are, they have to have a committee for anything they do. Well, the Send-off Committee showed up at our house beginning at 8:00 A.M. I'm not sure who the chairman is but the committee members are Donnie Brown, Rhee Brown, Carly Decker, Tricia Fowler, Reg Gattie, Jan Jernigan, Katie Milliner, Sarah Milliner, Janice Ray, Beryl Richards, Carey Stiles, Chris Stiles, Drew Stiles, Lilly Stiles, Maddie Stiles, Ryan Stiles, Trey Stiles, Tucker Stiles, Gary "Cokeman" Warren, Patti "Teatime" Warren, Rita Witcher, Cheryl Woodall, and "Scratch" Woodall. Committees can be very touchy so I have put the members in alphabetical order to preserve peace and keep the committee intact.
I really am very thankful for the committee. Some are family members and all are friends. In reality, all are family and all are friends. Proverbs has a lot to say about folks like this. Take a look at this:
Proverbs 17:17, "A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need."
Proverbs 18:24, "There are 'friends' who destroy each other , but a real friend sticks closer than a brother."
Proverbs 27:6, "Wounds from a friend are better than many kisses from an enemy."
Proverbs 27:9, "The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense."
Proverbs 27:17, "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend."
I am so grateful for the family of God. I have an fantasmagorical family of friends for which I thank God often. I am grateful for the committee that came to send us away on this incredible journey knowing we are loved, appreciated, and prayed for often. Other friends, including my family, have helped us pack, helped clean my messy garage, will feed our critters, have called and texted promising prayer and wishing us well, have given us support, and have just loved us. We are so blessed.

6 comments:

  1. We all did fine until Drew started crying, "I want to go with Papa Bur". Love the updates dad!!! Thanks and have a great time. I love you and mom very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you guys made it safely! I hope Margaret slept well and I miss you guys. Be safe and keep smiling! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you all had a great send off & thankful you all are safe! We love you guys more than words could express & Are praying for you all the time!! Love,Melissa Bone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are you guys going? Is this a vacation or something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Barry I went to the doctor for a routine physical and he said I had too much red blood and I should consider giving it away! So, it you need any really rich blood for the bike ride call me and I'll send a pint or a quart or whatever! Praying for your safety and hope you have a wonderful trip. Did I tell you Margaret looks younger every day?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barry,

    You need to give me a heads up when you are Margaret will be in NH, ME, and VT. I would be happy show Margaret where all the good antique stores are and where we could get a great breakfast!

    Paul Miller

    ReplyDelete